Book Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Final GirlsFinal Girls by Riley Sager
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

My rating may be more of a 2.5/5, considering I stayed up until about 4 a.m. to finish this.

I don't like to risk any spoilers in my reviews, especially with mystery/thrillers, so I'm going to be quite careful not to say too much.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. It was really slow moving until about the last third (the ending absolutely raised my rating) - and even that wasn't as exciting as I would have liked.

Quincy is a very complex character, with many issues, not all of which just come from the PTSD that she has after that night. I definitely got that, and an aspect of the story that I really like is that we get to see some of the effect that the murders and the events of that night have had on Quincy and her life: something that we rarely get to see in a scary movie, for example.
I liked Coop and the idea of a 'Coop' character in the beginning. Jeff was super boring. And I hated Sam - this isn't always a bad thing in a novel, but I really just couldn't stand her and I didn't like that in the end it felt like I was supposed to be like "oh well, the end justifies the means and all is forgiven".

Sager did skillfully insert little bits of misdirection throughout, however, my extremely suspicious mind came up with three main theories, one of which was correct, taking the shock out of the "finale". I do think that it was a nice enough twist for someone who perhaps doesn't read or watch as many horror/thriller/mystery's as I do, but personally, I just wanted more suspense and tension from this story. I wanted to feel as though I was watching a scary movie like Scream (which the title 'Final Girls' reminded me of), but unfortunately, Final Girls felt much more like a mystery to me, without enough excitement or anticipation built up.

View all my reviews

Comments

  1. I like your review. Always best to be honest. I also hate giving low ratings to books, but my review today was a two starrer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much.
      I know. It's just disappointing, especially when it's a book you've really been anticipating.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: Midnight, Texas Premiere

Try a Chapter Tag (+ Mystery Review!)