Book Review: The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison

The Butterfly Garden (The Collector #1)The Butterfly Garden by Dot Hutchison
My rating: 4.5 of 5 stars


I loved this. It had everything that I could have possibly wanted it to have. The only reason that it isn't a 5-star read is that (view spoiler).

“Some people stay broken. Some pick up the pieces and put them back together with all the sharp edges showing.”

This didn't take anything away from the overall story, though. I've never read anything like this before, especially with the set-up of how the story is told: because it's told from the situation of Maya being interviewed by the police and the story of the garden being told in snapshots - this could have potentially read quite choppy but ended up flowing seamlessly together to give a complete picture of events.

“Not making a choice is a choice. Neutrality is a concept, not a fact.”

I loved all of the girls in the garden. Hutchison achieved a complexity and gave each individual characters a personality, which I think is impressive just given the sheer quantity. Even the girls that Maya lived and worked with before the garden. I felt as though I knew exactly who they were and I cared about their part of the story. Even Lorraine, whom I thought was a very interesting addition because it really makes you think about this kind of character's situation and their culpability.

This is a very quick and very addictive read. If you like thrillers, this is definitely for you.

A compelling, twisted and creepy read.



[I know that the spoiler is still quite vague, but I really want to make sure not to give much away, just in case.]

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Impressions: Midnight, Texas Premiere

Try a Chapter Tag (+ Mystery Review!)

Book Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager